[PATCH 1 of 1] Add info about branch names to "help revisions", and other clarifications
Stuart W Marks
smarks at smarks.org
Sun Aug 2 22:44:42 CDT 2009
# HG changeset patch
# User Stuart W Marks <smarks at smarks.org>
# Date 1249266107 25200
# Node ID eb4dd86c779912e3f74a9b10ed264e3c89fdd0f4
# Parent ad4501d20214e297f480023b5ae754c2c0f18dc1
Add info about branch names to "help revisions", and other clarifications.
diff -r ad4501d20214 -r eb4dd86c7799 mercurial/help.py
--- a/mercurial/help.py Mon Aug 03 00:19:01 2009 +0200
+++ b/mercurial/help.py Sun Aug 02 19:21:47 2009 -0700
@@ -265,22 +265,21 @@
Mercurial supports several ways to specify individual revisions.
A plain integer is treated as a revision number. Negative integers
- are treated as topological offsets from the tip, with -1 denoting
- the tip. As such, negative numbers are only useful if you've
- memorized your local tree numbers and want to save typing a single
- digit. This editor suggests copy and paste.
+ are treated as sequential offsets from the tip, with -1 denoting
+ the tip, -2 denoting the revision prior to the tip, and so forth.
A 40-digit hexadecimal string is treated as a unique revision
A hexadecimal string less than 40 characters long is treated as a
- unique revision identifier, and referred to as a short-form
+ unique revision identifier and is referred to as a short-form
identifier. A short-form identifier is only valid if it is the
prefix of exactly one full-length identifier.
- Any other string is treated as a tag name, which is a symbolic
- name associated with a revision identifier. Tag names may not
- contain the ":" character.
+ Any other string is treated as a tag or branch name. A tag name is
+ a symbolic name associated with a revision identifier. A branch
+ name denotes the tipmost revision of that branch. Tag and branch
+ names may not contain the ":" character.
The reserved name "tip" is a special tag that always identifies
the most recent revision.
More information about the Mercurial-devel