[PATCH 0 of 6] New set of i18n patches

Martin Geisler mg at daimi.au.dk
Wed Jan 14 17:16:56 CST 2009


Hi again,

I've updated the i18n-patches from the suggestions given my Matt. I've
also reordered them slightly:

* Patch 1 adds a update-pot target to the Makefile which generates the
  i18n/hg.pot file.

* Pathc 2 adds a build_mo command to setup.py. This is a subcommand of
  build so it is automatically called as part of the build process.



* Patch 1 makes it easier to find the hg.mo files. The gettext module
  would lookup the hg.mo file corresponding to xx.po in

    /usr/share/locale/xx/LC_MESSAGES/hg.mo

  But that makes it annoying to test new translations and difficult
  for people who does not install to that location. So I changed
  i18n.py to use a path of . or .., relative to the location of
  i18n.py. This is the same way templater.py uses to find the
  templates directory.

* Patch 2 ensures that the output is encoded in the user's local
  encoding (as given by HGENCODING, LANG, LC_ALL, ...).

  With this patch the output of the Danish translation changes back
  and forth like this (my terminal is set to ISO-8859-1):

    % LANG=da_DK.ISO-8859-1 hg log -l 1
    ændring:     7053:3d8f300b3a38
    mærkat:      i18n-test-da
    mærkat:      qtip
    mærkat:      tip
    bruger:      Martin Geisler <mg at daimi.au.dk>
    dato:        Tue Sep 23 23:22:26 2008 +0200
    uddrag:      i18n: test case for Danish translation

    % LANG=da_DK.UTF-8 hg log -l 1
    ændring:     7053:3d8f300b3a38
    mærkat:      i18n-test-da
    mærkat:      qtip
    mærkat:      tip
    bruger:      Martin Geisler <mg at daimi.au.dk>
    dato:        Tue Sep 23 23:22:26 2008 +0200
    uddrag:      i18n: test case for Danish translation

    % LANG=da_DK.bogus hg log -l 1
    ?ndring:     7053:3d8f300b3a38
    m?rkat:      i18n-test-da
    m?rkat:      qtip
    m?rkat:      tip
    bruger:      Martin Geisler <mg at daimi.au.dk>
    dato:        Tue Sep 23 23:22:26 2008 +0200
    uddrag:      i18n: test case for Danish translation

  I believe this is the correct output: the first case works fine, the
  second gives UTF-8 encoded output in my Latin-1 terminal, and the
  third gives Danish text, but with 'æ' replaced by '?' since the
  bogus encoding cannot be found, making hg fallback to 'ascii'.

* Patch 3 adds new targets to the Makefile for updating the hg.pot (PO
  template) file and to generate xx.mo files. I've added these files
  to the .hgignore file.

* Patch 4 adds a rough Danish translation.

* Patch 5 adds a test case. One *must* run 'make update-mo' after
  applying this patch, otherwise the test case will fail. The problem
  is that run-tests.py use the setup.py script to install, and that
  script does not know anything about generating the .mo files.

  I could go in and hack run-tests.py and make it run the Makefile.
  That would add 'make' and 'msgfmt' to the required_tools in
  run-tests.py, maybe making it even harder to port the tests.

  I could also skip the test if no translation is found.

I maintain a patch queue here from which you can do a qclone:

  http://www.bitbucket.org/mg/hg-i18n-patches/

If you want to begin experimenting with translating Mercurial, then
please see the guide I posted here:

  http://selenic.com/pipermail/mercurial-devel/2008-September/007789.html



More information about the Mercurial-devel mailing list