[RFC] naming of obsolescence troubles

Sean Farley sean.michael.farley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 10:31:29 CDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Pierre-Yves David
<pierre-yves.david at logilab.fr> wrote:
> I'm about to submit patches to compute the two remaining troubles related to
> mutable history exchanges[1] (the first is "unstable" already in 2.3). But
> their name are not fully hammered yet.
> Please read the sentences below and discuss the *terms* used.
>     Exchange mutable history can bring different kind of *troubles*.

I think "trouble" needs to be singular here (though I am no English
professor). Also, "exchanging" as opposed to "exchange."

>     First, ancestors of a changeset may becomes obsoletes. Such changeset are
>     called *unstable*.
>     Second, a changeset may be a rewritten of a changeset now immutable. Such
>     changeset are called *latecomer*.

Hmmm, how about "replacer" (then you could use the verb "replace"), or
maybe "belated" (you could use the phrase "changeset B belates
changeset A?")?

What about the word "tardy?"

>     Third, multiple change may try to rewrite the same changeset. Such
>     changeset are called *divergent*.
>     A changeset is called *troubled* when it is affected by at least one
>     *troubles* (*unstable*, *latecomer* or *divergent*)

I'm pretty sure it needs to be, "... at least one *trouble* (...,"
still singular.

More information about the Mercurial-devel mailing list