[PATCH RFC] update: add an option to allow to merge local changes when crossing branches

Angel Ezquerra angel.ezquerra at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 12:24:02 CST 2013


On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Martin Geisler <martin at geisler.net> wrote:
> Kevin Bullock <kbullock+mercurial at ringworld.org> writes:
>
>> On 22 Feb 2013, at 2:35 PM, Martin Geisler wrote:
>>
>>> Kevin Bullock <kbullock+mercurial at ringworld.org> writes:
>>>
>>>> On 22 Feb 2013, at 7:24 AM, Laurens Holst wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I’m not entirely clear why this isn’t the default? Any update with
>>>>> local changes is performing a merge anyway (with all its risks for
>>>>> conflicts), so why would updating across branches need to be
>>>>> prohibited?
>>>>
>>>> Much greater likelihood of conflicts, and no way to get your local
>>>> changes back if you want to bail.
>>>
>>> We do save the original files when merging a dirty working copy into a
>>> target revisioon -- 'hg resolve --tool internal:local' will give them
>>> back to you even though they were never committed anywhere.
>>
>> Huh, how long have we been doing that? And more importantly, if we
>> allowed a cross-branch update, how would you get them back _after
>> updating back to your original place_?
>
> We've been doing it for ages, but despite my best efforts, it keeps
> surprising even very experienced users and developers :)
>
> As for getting the dirty files back after updating somewhere and back
> again, then it is a bit tricky. You need to make sure that your working
> copy has the dirty files after the first update.
>
> So after
>
>   hg update $SOMEWHERE
>   hg resolve --all --tool internal:local
>
> the files look like they did in your dirty working copy. If you do
>
>   hg update $BACK
>   hg resove --all --tool internal:local
>
> you will be back to where you started. If you modified the files after
> the first update, then it is the modified version you see after the
> second resolve.

That is a nice trick Martin!


>>> I don't know why you say the risk of conflicts is greater here than
>>> with any other update/merge?
>>
>> Simply because you're merging a larger set of changes, as you get to
>> below.
>
> As you say, a merge because of a dirty working copy will use
>
> * working copy parent (base)
> * dirty working copy  (local)
> * update target       (other)
>
> That ought to be an easy merge regardless of the update target since the
> difference between base and local is "small".
>
> I say "small" because I expect the diff present in the dirty working
> copy to be one commit. That is much smaller than most branch merges
> where the distance from local/other to base is 10, 100 or more commits.
>
>>>> To update across branches, it would have to apply _all_ the changes
>>>> between the common ancestor and the working copy, and write the
>>>> result into the working copy. Thus the likelihood of clobbering
>>>> uncommitted changes is much greater (and much more subject to
>>>> operator error in your merge tool of choice).
>>>
>>> I think you're saying that an update the crosses branches will tend
>>> to "span" a greater range of revisions than an update that is linear.
>>>
>>> That seems reasonable, but the underlying merge problem ought to be
>>> the same as if you had done a linear update across a big span of
>>> revisions.
>>
>> The theoretical problem is the same, but the _usability_ problem is
>> very different, both because of a likely larger set of conflicts
>> (merge early and often!), and because you'd have to do something
>> different to get back to your original state (and we'd likely have to
>> track more state outside of history).
>
> The risk of losing changes is certainly greater when they only live
> inside .hg/merge instead of in permanent history -- 100% agreed.
>
> My starting point was only that every single time I've had the "sorry, I
> wont help you update across branches" message I "fixed" it by updating
> twice and could continue with my work.

I also do this somethings although in other cases I either shelve my
changes or commit and rebase.
It seems that having to update back to an ancestor doubles the changes
of making an error while merging?

Angel


More information about the Mercurial-devel mailing list