[PATCH] commands: possibly start a web browser during `hg serve` (BC)

Mike Hommey mh at glandium.org
Sat Jul 16 01:18:30 EDT 2016


On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 09:57:52PM -0700, Gregory Szorc wrote:
> # HG changeset patch
> # User Gregory Szorc <gregory.szorc at gmail.com>
> # Date 1468645039 25200
> #      Fri Jul 15 21:57:19 2016 -0700
> # Node ID d9f80be11783508272240020c29ffd36529de53e
> # Parent  1c22400db72de4bbeb992fde534c0abbe1367b03
> commands: possibly start a web browser during `hg serve` (BC)
> 
> When D. Richard Hipp visited the Mozilla office several months ago
> and was showing me all the awesomeness in his Fossil VCS, one of the
> features that stood out to me was `fossil ui` starting a fully-featured
> HTTP/HTML server including the web browser. It was so... elegant
> to just type a command and get a web browser pointed to a local
> HTTP server where you could interact with your VCS.
> 
> From my own experience, when I run `hg serve` from an interactive
> terminal I open a web browser 95% of the time. The other 5% of the
> time I start the server so I can point another Mercurial client at it.
> `hg serve` isn't currently optimized for my use case because I have
> to run `hg serve` then copy or type a URL into my browser. What a waste
> of time!

Being at the opposite end of the spectrum (rarely needing a web browser
when running hg serve), it strikes me that if your terminal emulator
doesn't allow you to click a link and have it open in your default
browser windows, you should investigate changing your terminal emulator.

Mike


More information about the Mercurial-devel mailing list