GSoC Project Ideas for 2013
Here are some ideas of possible 2013 summer project ideas for Mercurial. Your own ideas are welcome. You may decide to work on these ideas or use them as a starting point for your own. Either way, come talk to us in #mercurial in Freenode or on the firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list.
- Unicode filename support on Windows
- Generic templating support
- Improved built-in help
- Advanced Hgweb support
- Performance tuning
- C implementation of command server API
- Improvement of record API and User Interface
- Improvement of the testing tool and testing annotation
- obsolescence support in graphlog and hgweb
- Other ideas?
1. Unicode filename support on Windows
While Mercurial users on Linux and Mac can happily exchange repositories with filenames in Unicode and even legacy encodings, Windows presents some extra challenges for using non-ASCII filenames portably. We'd like to address this by introducing an automatic UTF-8 translation layer on Windows systems.
2. Generic templating support
Mercurial has a powerful templating engine, but on the command line it's only available for log-like commands. We'd like to extend its power and flexibility to the rest of Mercurial's command-line interface, in addition to adding built-in support for standard formats like XML, JSON, etc.
3. Improved built-in help
Mercurial's built-in help is quite good, but could be better. Here are some things that could be done:
- improve crosslinking between help topics
- migrate remaining contents from manpages into built-in help
- add example usage to verbose sections in help
- improve the glossary
4. Advanced Hgweb support
Our web interface is very handy, but there are a number of features that could be improved:
- Add functions and conditionals to the templating language
- Add basic AJAX functionality to make history browsing more dynamic
- Add some basic web admin functionality
5. Performance tuning
Mercurial is fast but could always be faster. Possible areas include:
- Optimizing startup performance
- Optimizing performance on Windows
6. C implementation of command server API
7. Improvement of record API and User Interface
To be expended
8. Improvement of the testing tool and testing annotation
To be expended
9. obsolescence support in graphlog and hgweb
Thiis about displaying relation from ChangesetEvolution in graphlog (to be expended)
10. Other ideas?
Come talk to us on IRC.